Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc., headquartered in San Francisco, California, that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal cloud, and client software. Dropbox allows users to create a special folder on their computers, which Dropbox then synchronizes so that it appears to be the same folder (with the same contents) regardless of which computer is used to view it. Files placed in this folder are also accessible via the Dropbox website and mobile apps.
Dropbox was founded in 2007 by Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi, as a Y Combinator startup company. Dropbox provides client software for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, BlackBerry OS, Windows Phone and web browsers, as well as unofficial ports to Symbian and MeeGo.
Dropbox consists of cloud-based services for user identity and management, data storage, access, management, and programmatic interfaces (APIs); clients for data access and storage on desktop and mobile operating systems; and web applications for data and service management.
The Dropbox client enables users to drop any file into a designated folder. The file is then automatically uploaded to Dropbox’s cloud-based service and made available to any other of the user’s computers and devices that also have the Dropbox client installed. Users may also upload files manually through the Dropbox web application.
- Wherever you are
- Put your stuff in Dropbox and get to it from your computers, phones, or tablets. Edit docs, automatically add photos, and show off videos from anywhere.
- Share with confidence
- Share photos with friends. Work with your team like you’re using a single computer. Everything’s automatically private, so you control who sees what.
- Safe and secure
- Even if your phone goes for a swim, your stuff is always safe in Dropbox and can be restored in a snap. Dropbox secures your files with 256-bit AES encryption and two-step verification.
- Dropbox for Business
- Millions of people use Dropbox at work. With Dropbox for Business, get the power and security of Dropbox plus robust admin controls, dedicated support, and all the space you need.
- 25 Tips to Turbocharge Dropbox
- 20+ Tools To Supercharge Your Dropbox
- 5 smart ideas for using Dropbox in your business
You May Also Like
You must log in to submit a review.
Leave a reply Cancel reply